A few years ago someone asked me to build a Valvecaster-type tube overdrive pedal. Powered by an 12au7 vacuum tube, the Valvecaster produces a huge volume boost, but adds only a bit of tube overdrive. So after playing with the design I came up with the Dark Matter. The Saturnworks Dark Matter has higher gain and warmer tube grit than the original Valvecaster.
Among other tweaks, the Dark Matter adds an extra internal preamp circuit, activated with a footswitch and controlled with an overdrive knob. The boost circuit pushes the tube much farther than the standard Valvecaster design. The pedal also features master volume, tone, and gain controls.
The Dark Matter overdrive pedal features high quality components including:
- A Die cast aluminum enclosure.
- A high quality footswitch for smooth operation and longer life.
- Electro-Harmonix vacuum tube (brands can be installed depending on price and availability, please inquire)
- Neutrik jacks.
- 1-year warranty against defects.
- Handcrafted and bench-tested in California, USA.
The Dark Matter pedal runs on standard 2.1mm 9v DC center-negative power. It is a power hog, though, so it is a good idea to run it on its own power supply, or an isolated power supply. If you need a power supply, we have one here.